Sports Dentistry Services Like Mouth Guards Have Important Benefits
To help protect your mouth and improve athletic performance, Dr. William Papadopoulos and his team provide sports dentistry services at our Brookline, MA practice to fit patients with custom mouth guards. A sports mouth guard can protect your teeth from stress- and impact-related injuries such as chips and cracks to preserve your natural teeth and oral health. Beacon Place Dental Group is an exclusive provider of GuardLab® mouth guards for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and other professional athletes and teams in the greater Boston, MA area.
What Is a Mouth Guard and How Does It Work?
GuardLab® mouth guards are created with strong yet soft materials to absorb the shock of an impact to protect your teeth, mouth, and jaw from injury. At Beacon Place Dental Group, we use a 3D scanner to create custom-fitted sports guards. Your protective mouth guard fits over your upper and/or lower teeth and prevents damage caused by impact and sports-related stress.
How Can I Benefit from a Mouth Guard?
A customized mouth guard offers two primary benefits: enhanced athletic performance and protection for your teeth.
Enhanced Athletic Performance
While it doesn’t seem possible that a simple mouth guard could actually improve your athletic performance, scientific studies have shown that by decreasing pressure on the teeth and jaw and opening your airway through the use of a custom-fitted mouth guard, you will see improvements in your athletic performance.
- By reducing your ability to clench your teeth and opening your airway, your mouth guard increases airflow, which can increase strength and speed.
- Improved airflow delays the onset of lactic acid to improve endurance.
- Relieving pressure on your teeth and jaw and improving airflow can improve your reaction time.
- Decreasing the stress and tension on your jaw can stabilize your head, neck, and shoulder muscles.
Protection of Your Teeth
In any sport, but in high-impact sports especially, a custom-fitted mouth guard is essential to protect your teeth from damage. Even athletes in lower-impact sports who find themselves clenching their teeth may benefit from a custom-fitted mouth guard.
- A customized mouth guard will protect your teeth from damage due to an impact to the face and mouth.
- Your custom-fitted mouth guard can also protect your teeth from damage caused by stress such as clenching your teeth, including chips, cracks, TMJ problems, and more.
Schedule an Appointment Today
The right mouth guard can make a difference. If you are an athlete and do not yet have a custom-fitted mouth guard, contact our office today to schedule a 3D scan for your custom-fitted mouth guard.
Have questions, no problem; consultations are free of charge. In most cases you can get the answers you need in 30 minutes!